The Project supports the identification, design, and implementation of Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions (NAMAs) in the urban sector. NAMAs, consisting of investments in infrastructure supported by capacity building, awareness raising and technical assistance, will contribute to achieving the country’s GHG emission reduction voluntary target while improving urban services and the quality of life of citizens in Kazakh towns and cities. The project is the first effort in Kazakhstan to adopt a comprehensive approach to reduce GHG emissions in cities.
The project will
- Improve the capacity of municipalities to carry out integrated municipal planning, make targets and prioritize urban mitigation actions (Component 1)
- Support the creation and strengthening of institutional structures that will allow public and private sector investments in identified infrastructure and technical assistance (Component 2)
- Provide facilitation of financing of urban NAMA through creation of a dedicated fund (Component 3)
- Piloting of an urban NAMA in the Prigorodnoye district of Astana through investments in modernization and upgrating of the urban infrastructure (Component 4)
- Linking the project with the national GHG mitigation efforts, including through standards, rules and procedures for monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV), promoting better information dissemination to stakeholders, and linking the NAMA process with the domestic Emission Trading Scheme (ETS) for industrial emitters