A main pillar of Ethiopia's Climate Resilient Green Growth (CRGE) strategy is to avoid emissions in the transport sector through a shift of freight and passenger transport from road to rail. The Ethiopian Railways Corporation (ERC) was set up in 2007 with the mandate to construct railway infrastructure and provide passenger and freight rail transport services in Ethiopia. The envisaged infrastructure consists of two railway project components, namely the Addis Ababa Light Rail Transit (LRT) and the Nationwide Railway Network Development Programme. Local knowledge and capacity is a main success factor of sustainable railway implementation and operation. ERC therefore intends to establish a state-‐of-‐the-‐art Railway Academy.
The Railway Academy will serve the following functions:
• Provision of basic skill trainings and practical trainings for middle-‐level technicians at diploma and advanced diploma level, to assure availability of front-‐line workers in railway transport operation and maintenance as well as infrastructure construction;
• To conduct practical oriented training of the middle-‐level
technicians at Bachelor degree level;
• To organize and conduct short-‐term professional skill
development training for engineers
• To offer leadership trainings for middle level and executive
• To undertake applied technical research and technology
• To promote preparation and review of railway sector policy
• To organize and facilitate railway sector workshops and
• To promote research and development in areas of railway technology advancement in collaboration with selected universities and the Institute of Technologies.
Through this NAMA, ERC is seeking support for the preparation of feasibility study for the items as below:
• Construction of the Academy;
• Procurement of interior and lab equipment;
• Formulation of curricula; •
Once a feasibility study is being completed, ERC will request support to implement the Railway Academy through a NAMA for implementation.